Friday, June 23, 2017

Eyes on the Prize

The past two weeks since my last blog have been filled with a lot of emotions (most of them good) and appointments! I have met with several doctors, had a PET scan, met with a counsellor and had a port put in to my chest. The port is a device that sits underneath my skin and allows my chemo and other drugs to be plugged right into a main artery so that I don't need an IV each time. I've now got a pretty attractive lump sticking out of my chest. It'll give me street cred I think.

On Monday of this week we got the results of my PET scan and we are feeling pretty positive about them. Our biggest fear was that the cancer has spread to distant sites in my body, but so far it looks like that is not the case. I still have to have a brain scan on Monday but hopefully that will show no metastases. So for now it looks like the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes down my left side and into my clavicle, as well as into the mammary nodes in my sternum. The PET scan also showed that the cancer has metastasized to the bone in my sternum and they have now confirmed that it is in my lungs. I'm guessing that to you, this does not seem like such fantastic news, but hey, it could be a lot worse!

In the meantime, life has been pretty wonderful! The outpouring of love and support that we have received from family, friends and our community has been unbelievable. We have received everything from cards, gifts, phone calls, messages and emails to meals, flowers, family photographs and even alkalinized water! Our workplaces have been equally amazing through their support and understanding of our situation. The staff at my school have even pooled their money together to hire us a house keeper to come in every second week, which will be so helpful! There have also been many offers of help to look after our kids, to drive me to appointments and even just to keep me company when I need it. The students in my class have written me letters and made me cards and pictures which have left me tearful, but grateful. I feel that the strength and love that is around us is nearly tangible and it makes me certain that we can get through this with our army around us.

Every gift and message that we have received mean so much to us, but I feel like I want to say something extra about two that I got this week. The first was from a sweet, little grade one girl from our school. It was her birthday recently and she decided to have a 50/50 party. For those of you who don't know, that means she asks for cash instead of gifts and then donates 50% of the money she receives to a cause. Well, she chose our family as that cause. She and her family came by last week to give us her beautiful card and amazing gift, and my heart nearly melted into a puddle. She wants us to put her money towards a "Family Adventure Fund" so that is exactly what we have done.

The second gift came from a boy in my class and his mom. This boy holds a piece of my heart because of his sweet personality, resiliency and awesome strength. His mom told me she had made something for me and I thought it might be some cookies. Well, she made me a quilt. By hand. It is so gorgeous and one of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received. The quilt has bird patterns all over it, which is perfect, because I love birds, but it also reminds me that I can fly above all this.

So to end this blog I should mention that yesterday was my first chemo treatment. FINALLY. I have been waiting for chemo to start since mid-May, knowing the whole time that the cancer was growing inside of me and that I wasn't able to do anything about it. I cuddled with my quilt, visited with Daryl and dozed on and off throughout the treatment, and surprisingly, am feeling ok today.

I wish you and your family the best weekend filled with sunshine and laughter! Thanks again for all of your help, prayers, messages and support. We will be forever indebted.

Love Jen

11 comments:

  1. You truly are amazing Jen..you inspire so many of us..you will beat this..you and your army..we are ALL behind you..stay strong pretty❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. You truly are amazing Jen..you inspire so many of us..you will beat this..you and your army..we are ALL behind you..stay strong pretty❤

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always admired the small in stature, big in heart. Always the fistiest and strongest, that's you to a T Jen. Sorry if that's bad grammar. My spell check isn't working. Keep posting as often as you feel like it,you're great at writing 🤔 blogging🤔 posting🤔 whatever it's called your awesome at it and we love hearing from you.
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing Jen! Keep kicking ass!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jen;
    It seems Just like a moment ago that you were the flower girl at my wedding 31 years ago. It was a time of sweet innocence for all of us. May you be given whatever you need in this time of challenges- long past innocence, and yet also filled with love, support, and your beautiful adventures. I am praying for you and all of your family and am holding you closely in my heart. God bless and love from Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tanya. Your wedding does seem like only a few years ago. It is hard to believe that 31 years have passed. Thank you for keeping us in your heart and prayers. Love Jen

      Delete
  6. If you are reading this and you are suffering from any kind of human disease God just heard your prayer,Dr Itua Herbal Center Contact,Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or WhatsApp:+2348149277967.
     I was so very sick when I came across someone telling story of his life on how Dr Itua gave his dead life back to her, Her Name was Achima Abelard A Germany lady.
    Dr Itua help me to cure my Bladder cancer, I take his treatment for 3 weeks and I was cured completed. He resides in west African but I order his herbal medicines through Mail which I received withing 5 days also I was instructed on how I will drink it for 3 weeks to cure which I did totally I'm well now.
    I think this Dr Itua is A GOD sent from heaven because i have heard several times that there is no cure but Dr Itua surprises me, put joy on my face.if you are suffering from,Bladder cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity,Multiple myeloma,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,
    Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Ovarian cancer,Hepatitis,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancerStomach cancer
    Testicular cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis. Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,,Sinus cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Chronic Disease.

    ReplyDelete

Paddling to give back

It's hard to believe that it was about a year ago that I first found out my cancer had come back. To find out that the cancer had metast...