Thursday, June 8, 2017

I feel like to start this blog off, I should go back four years and explain this adventure from the beginning, so here goes...

I was first diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer four years ago, in June 2013. I was nursing my son, Greyson, and found a lump that just wouldn't go away. After a lot of tests it was determined that I had an agressive form of breast cancer called triple negative, meaning that it is estrogen negative, progesterone negative and HER2 negative. I had a bi-lateral mastectomy with reconstruction and four rounds of chemotherapy which left me hairless but not broken. There were no follow up tests to determine that I was cancer free, so I walked out of the cancer agency for what I thought was the last time, in December of 2013.

In the spring of 2014 I went for gene testing and I found out that I have something called BRCA1, which is a gene mutation that causes breast and ovarian cancers (as well as others, to a lesser degree). I wanted to be as proactive as possible, so I went ahead and had a hysterectomy in October of that year.

Since then I have been living my life as a "cancer free" individual and not taking a single day for granted. If you know me, then you know I live every day to the fullest. I try to look at everyday as an adventure and we try to "adventure" (yes that is a verb in my world) as much as we can. Sometimes that means a paddle board on a lake, sometimes that means a trip to a different country, or camping in our trailer and sometimes it just means a walk to the park or a dance in the living room. But we adventure. A lot.

Fast forward to February 2017. I started having a lot of pain in my chest, on the same side where the cancer had been. I thought it was muscle pain so I went to two different massage therapists seeking relief, and started taking lots of pain meds. The pain was persistent though, so I finally went to my family doctor who also thought it was probably muscle pain, or pain from scar tissue that had formed there after my surgeries. She decided to send me to the Breast Health Clinic just to be on the safe side. Once again, there were several tests; ultrasounds, CT scans and biopsies before it was once again determined that I have cancer. This time it has metastasized to the nodes under my clavicle and my sternum. There is also a spot on my lungs which they are still not sure about. This is now considered metastatic breast cancer, and is stage 4.

So here we are today. It was a big day. I met my new oncologist and feel like I am in the best care. Her plan for me includes more chemo, radiation and a trial medication. To say we are scared is to put it mildly. I look at my children, Ella who is 7 and Greyson who is 5 and the thought that they are going to be put through this makes me want to scream. I want them to have a fantastic childhood filled with endless adventure and happiness, not having to worry about their mom. They deserve that. All kids deserve that. I want to ride along side them as they ride their bikes, not spend my days in bed.    

You may wonder why I am sharing this. Well, last time around my family and I found it difficult to keep everyone updated all the time. I thought this would be a good way of keeping people in the loop, while also allowing me to write down my thoughts.

Another thing you should know about me is that I love a good dare and I rarely pass them up. Well, my friend Silke dared me to beat this cancer, and so I plan to. If you want to follow me on my adventure, I would be happy to have you along for the ride. I can use all the friends, support and prayers I can get!


Love Jen

24 comments:

  1. You have all my support, prayers, friendship and love. You are inspirational. Your children, family and friends will see nothing less than one of the bravest, strongest and most determined people we have ever met. I'm here, I'm most definitely your friend and I am coming along for the ride. Love Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Joe. We are so lucky to have you guys as our friends and in our lives. Love Jen

      Delete
  2. Your positive attitude and wonderful sense of humour make it so much easier for those who love you to get through this difficult journey with you. You are an incredibly strong and beautiful person. We love you to bits. You know we will always be there for you. Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mom and Dad. Your support and unwavering love is amazing and helps to keep me strong. I love you guys to bits too.

      Delete
  3. Jen you amaze me with your strength and determination. If anyone can beat this you can. I'm right beside you cheering you on. Love you little monkey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so strong Jen, all of you are. Cheyenne and I think of you guys often and are so happy to have you back in our lives. I can tell you have a lot of great support but if you guys need anything, even a place to get away to for bit, please don't hesitate. You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brandon! We are happy to have you guys in our lives too! XO

      Delete
  5. Hi Jen. I don't know you all that well but I wish you all the best in your latest battle. From what I read, I'm pretty sure you will beat the cancer again. You never know how strong you are until you need to be. You have the right attitude and all the love and support to get you through this. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. A blog is a great idea! I have a group pin Facebook I use to keep people in the loop. It greatly decreases the amount of repetitive information you have to relay! Hang in there and once you settle into treatment, let's get our support group going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds awesome, Ashley! Thank you so much for your support! We will get through this lady!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing, Jen. We send you and your family all our love. Let the adventuring continue! Love Harper, Andie and Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Leah, Andrea and Harper! I know you are in my corner!!

      Delete
  8. You're positivity is so inspiring! You got this girl! I'll be thinking of you and your family. Love you guys xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenn! Love back to you and your family!

      Delete
  9. Jen you are an amazing person. Your inner strength radiates and we know you can beat this! Your positive energy and drive is contagious. You are always thinking of others. Life is not fair and you, Daryl, Ella and Greyson don't deserve this. We are here for you all every step of the way. We love you all; let this adventure begin!

    Love, Nikki, Clay and Kids

    Hugs and Kisses xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Chadwicks! We appreciate your love and support so much!!! Hugs and kisses back at you!! XO

      Delete
  10. Jen - thinking of you and yours! You've got this!
    "I'm too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
    (Kim's cousin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheilagh! It's great to hear from you! I love the quote!

      Delete
  11. I feel your strength and optimism Jen! You are one incredible women and I love that you are such bad ass (even though you look so sweet and innocent!)!
    So many of your Mom's friends are thinking of you and sending you every positive vibe to support you on this crazy adventure! Take time for yourself to allow the healing process to do it's thing! Hugs and lots of love Jen! Love Gisele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gisele! I do feel surrounded by love and strength! XO

      Delete
  12. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,Get Your Ex Back, You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you are reading this and you are suffering from any kind of human disease God just heard your prayer,Dr Itua Herbal Center Contact,Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or WhatsApp:+2348149277967.
     I was so very sick when I came across someone telling story of his life on how Dr Itua gave his dead life back to her, Her Name was Achima Abelard A Germany lady.
    Dr Itua help me to cure my Bladder cancer, I take his treatment for 3 weeks and I was cured completed. He resides in west African but I order his herbal medicines through Mail which I received withing 5 days also I was instructed on how I will drink it for 3 weeks to cure which I did totally I'm well now.
    I think this Dr Itua is A GOD sent from heaven because i have heard several times that there is no cure but Dr Itua surprises me, put joy on my face.if you are suffering from,Bladder cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity,Multiple myeloma,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,
    Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Ovarian cancer,Hepatitis,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancerStomach cancer
    Testicular cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis. Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,,Sinus cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Chronic Disease.

    ReplyDelete

Paddling to give back

It's hard to believe that it was about a year ago that I first found out my cancer had come back. To find out that the cancer had metast...